Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Why blog?


Three different times I have committed to blogging, and three different times I was able to swing about six to eight entries, before the site resigned itself to virtual retirement. Then this past weekend Yulinda and I borrowed Julie and Julia from the Library and I was struck by how transformative the discipline of blogging was in Julie’s life. On a certain level the forced habit of sitting down every evening to write about her experience of cooking every recipe in Julia Child’s cookbook brought a measure of order to her previously chaotic life. Do you feel the need for order within the chaos of life these desperate days? I feel it. So I’m going to try it yet again. In order to develop a consistent discipline, most days I will simply record “Significant Moments from the Day” – items from the day that distinguished the day from others. Because much of my time is spent in the areas of Biblical and Theological studies, most of my writing will be in that small but significant corner of the cosmos. More than that, however, I hope this blogging experiment improves my skills as a writer and pushes me deeper into that discipline of critically evaluating each day in light of the call to follow Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment